Basically, I no longer work for anything but the sensation I have while working.
In every work of art the subject is primordial, whether the artist knows it or not. The measure of the formal qualities is only a sign of the measure of the artist’s obsession with his subject; the form is always in proportion to the obsession.
That’s the terrible thing: the more one works on a picture, the more impossible it becomes to finish it.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Auguste Rodin French Sculptor
- Hermann Hesse Swiss Novelist, Poet
- Carl Gustav Jung Swiss Psychologist
- Henri Frederic Amiel Swiss Philosopher, Writer
- Jean-Jacques Rousseau French Philosopher
- Johann Kaspar Lavater Swiss Theologian, Poet
- Jean Antoine Petit-Senn Swiss Poet
- Karl Barth Swiss Protestant Theologian
- Jean-luc Godard French-born Swiss Film Director
- Johann Heinrich Pestalozzi Swiss Educator