We are all tourists in history, and irony is what we win in wars.
There was a time when we expected nothing of our children but obedience, as opposed to the present, when we expect everything of them but obedience.
- George Edward Woodberry American Literary Critic
- Bayard Taylor American Poet
- Harold Bloom American Literary Critic
- Van Wyck Brooks American Literary Critic
- Diana Trilling American Literary Critic
- F. L. Lucas English Literary Critic
- John Churton Collins English Literary Critic
- Francis Jeffrey, Lord Jeffrey Scottish Judge
- Louis Kronenberger American Critic
- Dwight Macdonald American Film Critic