The work of the political activist inevitably involves a certain tension between the requirement that position be taken on current issues as they arise and the desire that one’s contributions will somehow survive the ravages of time.
Topics: Politicians, Politics
Media mystifications should not obfuscate a simple, perceivable fact; Black teenage girls do not create poverty by having babies. Quite the contrary, they have babies at such a young age precisely because they are poor –because they do not have the opportunity to acquire an education, because meaningful, well-paying jobs and creative forms of recreation are not accessible to them… because safe, effective forms of contraception are not available to them.
Progressive art can assist people to learn not only about the objective forces at work in the society in which they live, but also about the intensely social character of their interior lives. Ultimately, it can propel people toward social emancipation.
Topics: Art, Artists
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Audre Lorde American Poet, Feminist
- Gertrude Stein American Writer
- Rita Mae Brown American Writer, Feminist
- Abbie Hoffman American Political Activist
- Susan Sontag American Writer, Philosopher
- Alice Walker American Novelist, Activist
- Emma Goldman American Anarchist
- Gloria Steinem American Feminist
- Malcolm X American Civil Rights Leader
- Natalie Clifford Barney American Playwright