You can safely assume you’ve created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.
We all know we’re going to die; what’s important is the kind of men and women we are in the face of this.
I do not understand the mystery of grace — only that it meets us where we are, and does not leave us where it found us.
Then the singing enveloped me. It was furry and resonant, coming from everyone’s very heart. There was no sense of performance or judgment, only that the music was breath and food.
Your problem is how you are going to spend this one and precious life you have been issued. Whether you’re going to spend it trying to look good and creating the illusion that you have power over circumstances, or whether you are going to taste it, enjoy it and find out the truth about who you are.
I think joy and sweetness and affection are a spiritual path. We’re here to know God, to love and serve God, and to be blown away by the beauty and miracle of nature. You just have to get rid of so much baggage to be light enough to dance, to sing, to play. You don’t have time to carry grudges; you don’t have time to cling to the need to be right.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Joyce Maynard American Novelist
- Annie Dillard American Writer
- Joan Didion American Essayist, Novelist, Memoirist
- Alice Walker American Novelist, Activist
- Cynthia Ozick American Novelist
- Fannie Flagg American Comedian, Novelist
- Maya Angelou American Poet
- Susan Sontag American Writer, Philosopher
- Rita Mae Brown American Writer, Feminist
- Amy Tan Chinese-American Novelist