Never think that you’re not good enough yourself. A man should never think that. People will take you very much at your own reckoning.
Marvelous is the power which can be exercised, almost unconsciously, over a company, or an individual, or even upon a crowd by one person gifted with good temper, good digestion, good intellects, and good looks.
Topics: Charisma, Charm
I judge a man by his actions with men, much more than by his declarations Godwards — When I find him to be envious, carping, spiteful, hating the successes of others, and complaining that the world has never done enough for him, I am apt to doubt whether his humility before God will atone for his want of manliness.
Topics: Piety, Religion
And above all things, never think that you’re not good enough yourself. A man should never think that. My belief is that in life people will take you at your own reckoning.
This habit of reading … is your pass to the most perfect pleasure that God has prepared for his creatures. It lasts when all other pleasures fade. It will make your hours pleasant to you as long as you live.
Topics: Reading, Books
The satirist who writes nothing but satire should write but little — or it will seem that his satire springs rather from his own caustic nature than from the sins of the world in which he lives.
Topics: Sarcasm, Cynicism
- William Makepeace Thackeray English Novelist
- George Gissing English Novelist
- Evelyn Waugh English Novelist
- Jane Austen English Novelist
- Samuel Richardson English Novelist
- Virginia Woolf English Novelist
- Dinah Craik English Novelist
- E. M. Forster English Novelist
- Pamela Hansford Johnson English Novelist
- J. B. Priestley English Novelist