There is a woman who spent her life loving that evil creature: she died. I’m sure she’s a saint in heaven right now. You are going to kill me the way he killed that woman.That is what’s in store for all of us who have unselfish hearts.
The Sun, the hearth of affection and life, pours burning love on the delighted earth.
For a long time I found the celebrities of modern painting and poetry ridiculous. I loved absurd pictures, fanlights, stage scenery, mountebanks backcloths, inn-signs, cheap colored prints; unfashionable literature, church Latin, pornographic books badly spelt, grandmothers novels, fairy stories, little books for children, old operas, empty refrains, simple rhythms.
Topics: Taste, Style
I saw that all beings are fated to happiness: action is not life, but a way of wasting some force, an enervation. Morality is the weakness of the brain.
Topics: Morality, Expectation, Disillusion
I is another.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Charles Baudelaire French Poet
- Remy de Gourmont French Poet
- Jean Cocteau French Poet
- Jean de La Fontaine French Poet
- Guillaume Apollinaire Italian-born French Poet
- Alphonse de Lamartine French Poet, Politician, Historian
- Victor Hugo French Novelist
- Marquis de Sade French Political leader
- Andre Gide French Novelist
- Simone de Beauvoir French Philosopher