The mill wheel turns, it turns forever, though what is uppermost remains not so.
A man who sees another man on the street corner with only a stump for an arm will be so shocked the first time he’ll give him sixpence. But the second time it’ll only be a three penny bit. And if he sees him a third time, he’ll have him cold-bloodedly handed over to the police.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe German Poet
- Friedrich Schiller German Poet
- Berthold Auerbach German Jewish Poet, Novelist
- Friedrich Gottlieb Klopstock German Poet
- Carl Zuckmayer German Playwright
- Hans Carossa German Novelist
- Erich Fromm German Psychologist
- Gotthold Ephraim Lessing German Writer
- Henrik Ibsen Norwegian Playwright
- Werner Heisenberg German Theoretical Physicist