This is a game to be savored, not gulped. There’s time to discuss everything between pitches or between innings.
Baseball is almost the only orderly thing in a very unorderly world. If you get three strikes, even the best lawyer in the world can’t get you off.
What we have are good gray ballplayers, playing a good gray game and reading the good gray Wall Street Journal. They have been brainwashed, dry-cleaned and dehydrated!… Wake up the echoes at the Hall of Fame and you will find that baseball’s immortals were a rowdy and raucous group of men who would climb down off their plaques and go rampaging through Cooperstown, taking spoils…. Deplore it if you will, but Grover Cleveland Alexander drunk was a better pitcher than Grover Cleveland Alexander sober
It never ceases to amaze me how many of baseball’s wounds are self-inflicted
The season starts too early and finishes too late and there are too many games in between
I do not think that winning is the most important thing. I think winning is the only thing.
Baseball is the only game left for people. To play basketball, you have to be 7 feet 6 inches. To play football, you have to be the same width.
That’s the true harbinger of spring, not crocuses or swallows returning to Capistrano, but the sound of a bat on the ball.
Baseball is the only thing beside the paper clip that hasn’t changed
- Frank Lane American Sportsperson
- Yogi Berra American Sportsperson
- Michael Jordan American Sportsperson
- Babe Ruth American Sportsperson
- Ted Williams American Sportsperson
- Casey Stengel American Sportsperson
- Johnny Bench American Sportsperson
- Mike Ditka American Sportsperson
- Tommy Prothro American Sportsperson
- Bear Bryant American Sportsperson