The time for action is now. It’s never too late to do something.
Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you.
A baby is God’s opinion that life should go on.
Money is power, freedom, a cushion, the root of all evil, the sum of blessings.
If she America forgets where she came from, if the people lose sight of what brought them along, if she listens to the deniers and mockers, then will begin the rot and dissolution.
I see America, not in the setting sun of a black night of despair ahead of us, I see America in the crimson light of a rising sun fresh from the burning, creative hand of God. I see great days ahead, great days possible to men and women of will and vision
Pile the bodies high at Austerlitz and Waterloo. Shovel them under and let me workI am the grass; I cover all. And pile them high at GettysburgAnd pile them high at Ypres and Verdun. Shovel them under and let me work. Two years, ten years, and passengers ask the conductor:What place is this?Where are we now?I am the grass. Let me work.
Who put up that cage? Who hung it up with bars, doors? Why do those on the inside want to get out? Why do those outside want to get in? What is this crying inside and out all the time? What is this endless, useless beating of baffled wings at these bars, doors, this cage?
The past is a bucket of ashes, so live not in your yesterdays, nor just for tomorrow, but in the here and now. Keep moving and forget the post-mortems. And remember, no one can get the jump on the future.
Let a joy keep you. Reach out your hands and take it when it runs by.
- Phyllis McGinley American Children’s Books Writer
- Shel Silverstein American Children’s Books Writer
- Marie Chapian American Children’s Books Writer
- May Sarton American Children’s Books Writer
- Louise Erdrich American Children’s Books Writer
- Nikki Giovanni American Children’s Books Writer
- Elizabeth Prentiss American Children’s Books Writer
- Diane Ackerman American Children’s Books Writer
- James Whitcomb Riley American Children’s Books Writer
- E. E. Cummings American Children’s Books Writer