A good character is the best tombstone. Those who loved you, and were helped by you, will remember you when forget-me-nots are withered. Carve your name on hearts, and not on marble.
Topics: Kindness, Work, Character
When I look into your face, O Law, my spirit shudders. When I hear your thunders, my heart is melted like wax in the midst of my bowels. How can I endure you? If I am to be tried at last for my life, surely I shall need no judge, for I shall be my own swift accuser, and my conscience shall be a witness to condemn.
Stars may be seen from the bottom of a deep well, when they cannot be discerned from the top of a mountain? So are many things learned in adversity which the prosperous man dreams not of?
One night alone in prayer might make us new men, changed from poverty of soul to spiritual wealth, from trembling to triumphing.
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is a knowledge of our own ignorance.
It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.
Many men owe the grandeur of their lives to their tremendous difficulties.
When your will is God’s will, you will have your will.
- John Wesley British Methodist Religious Leader
- John Henry Newman British Catholic Clergyman
- Albert Benjamin Simpson Canadian Protestant Preacher
- Frederick William Faber British Hymn writer
- Harry Emerson Fosdick American Baptist Clergyman
- Edwin Hubbell Chapin American Universalist Preacher
- George C. Lorimer American Baptist Clergyman
- George Boardman American Baptist Minister
- Jesse Jackson American Baptist Civil Rights Activist
- Billy Graham American Baptist Religious Leader