There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. I love music passionately. And because l love it, I try to free it from barren traditions that stifle it. It is a free art gushing forth, an open-air art boundless as the elements, the wind, the sky, the sea. It must never be shut in and become an academic art.
Beauty must appeal to the senses, must provide us with immediate enjoyment, must impress us or insinuate itself into us without any effort on our part.
Collect impressions. Don’t be in a hurry to write them down. Because that’s something music can do better than painting: it can centralise variations of colour and light within a single picture—a truth generally ignored, obvious as it is.
- Hector Berlioz French Composer
- Stephen Sondheim American Musician
- Igor Stravinsky Russian-born American Composer
- Jean Sibelius Finnish Composer
- Ludwig van Beethoven German Composer
- Gian Carlo Menotti Italian-born American Composer
- John Cage American Composer
- Frank Zappa American Rock Guitarist, Singer, Composer
- Arthur Rubinstein Polish-born American Composer
- Johann Sebastian Bach German Composer