Enthusiastic partisans of the idea of progress are in danger of failing to recognize… the immense riches accumulated by the human race. By underrating the achievements of the past, they devalue all those which still remain to be accomplished.
The wise man doesn’t give the right answers, he poses the right questions.
Being human signifies, for each one of us, belonging to a class, a society, a country, a continent and a civilization; and for us European earth-dwellers, the adventure played out in the heart of the New World signifies in the first place that it was not our world and that we bear responsibility for the crime of its destruction.
- Louis Pasteur French Biologist
- Henri Poincare French Mathematician
- Michel Foucault French Philosopher
- Hannah Arendt German Political Theorist
- Henri Bergson French Philosopher
- Guy Debord French Philosopher
- Simone de Beauvoir French Philosopher
- Jean de La Bruyere
- Elie Wiesel Romanian-born American Writer
- Nicolas Boileau-Despreaux