In America every woman has her set of girl-friends; some are cousins, the rest are gained at school. These form a permanent committee who sit on each other’s affairs, who “come out” together, marry and divorce together, and who end as those groups of bustling, heartless well-informed club-women who govern society. Against them the Couple of Ehepaar is helpless and Man in their eyes but a biological interlude.
Topics: Women, Government, Friends and Friendship
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- J. R. R. Tolkien British Philologist, Writer
- Maurice Baring British Author
- Pico Iyer British-born Essayist, Novelist of Indian Origin
- Ford Madox Ford English Novelist, Poet, Critic
- Samuel Johnson British Essayist
- Stephen Fry English Actor, Writer
- George Orwell English Novelist, Essayist, Journalist
- Ian L. Fleming English Novelist, Journalist
- V. S. Pritchett British Short Story Writer
- Horace Walpole, 4th Earl of Orford English Intellectual, Politician