It is not good for all our wishes to be filled; through sickness we recognize the value of health; through evil, the value of good; through hunger, the value of food; through exertion, the value of rest.
—Dorothy Canfield Fisher
Topics: Adversity, Wisdom
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Amy Tan Chinese-American Novelist
- Cynthia Ozick American Novelist
- Zora Neale Hurston American Novelist
- Flannery O’Connor American Novelist
- Lisa Alther American Novelist
- Emily Post American Writer, Socialite
- Edith Wharton American Novelist, Short-story Writer
- Susan Sontag American Writer, Philosopher
- Laura Ingalls Wilder American Author of Children’s Novels
- Vladimir Nabokov Russian-born American Novelist