I wonder, among all the tangles of this mortal coil, which one contains tighter knots to undo, and consequently suggests more tugging, and pain, and diversified elements of misery, than the marriage tie.
The persons of their world lived in an atmosphere of faint implications and pale delicacies, and the fact that he and she understood each other without a word seemed to the young man to bring them nearer than any explanation would have done.
Life is the only real counselor; wisdom unfiltered through personal experience does not become a part of the moral tissue.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Cynthia Ozick American Novelist
- Susan Sontag American Writer, Philosopher
- Zora Neale Hurston American Novelist
- Flannery O’Connor American Novelist
- Emily Post American Writer, Socialite
- Dorothy Canfield Fisher American Novelist
- Amy Tan Chinese-American Novelist
- Lisa Alther American Novelist
- O. Henry (William Sydney Porter) American Writer of Short Stories
- Frances Hodgson Burnett British Novelist, Playwright