There are victories of the soul and spirit.
Sometimes, even if you lose, you win.
The opposite of love is not hate, it’s indifference.
The opposite of art is not ugliness, it’s indifference.
The opposite of faith is not heresy, it’s indifference.
And the opposite of life is not death, it’s indifference.
Words can sometimes, in moments of grace, attain the quality of deeds.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
Because of indifference,
one dies before one actually dies.
If the only prayer you say throughout your life is “Thank You,” then that will be enough.
Ultimately, the only power to which man should aspire
is that which he exercises over himself.
Nobody is stronger, nobody is weaker than someone who came back. There is nothing you can do to such a person because whatever you could do is less than what has already been done to him. We have already paid the price.
- Isaac Bashevis Singer Polish-born American Children’s Books Writer
- Isaac Asimov Russian-born American Children’s Books Writer
- E. L. Doctorow American Writer, Editor
- Gertrude Stein American Writer, Poet
- Henry Kissinger American Diplomat
- Jimmy Carter American Head of State
- William H. Gass American Short Story Writer
- Louise Erdrich American Children’s Books Writer
- Robin Morgan American Activist, Writer
- Andy Rooney American Writer, Humorist