Tis’ better to live your own life imperfectly than to imitate someone else’s perfectly.
People tend to focus on the here and now. The problem is that, once global warming is something that most people can feel in the course of their daily lives, it will be too late to prevent much larger, potentially catastrophic changes.
As best as can be determined, the world is now warmer than it has been at any point in the last two millennia, and, if current trends continue, by the end of the century it will likely be hotter than at any point in the last two million years.
People universally tend to think that happiness is a stroke of luck, something that will descend upon you like fine weather if you’re fortunate enough. But that’s not how happiness works. Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes travel the around the world looking for it. … Once you have achieved a state of happiness, you must never become lax about maintaining it, you must make a mighty effort to keep swimming upward into that happiness forever, to stay afloat on top of it.
You are, after all, what you think. Your emotions are the slaves to your thoughts, and you are the slave to your emotions.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Anthony Powell English Novelist
- Clarence Day American Memoirist
- Anita Loos American Actor
- Willa Cather American Novelist
- Henry Miller American Novelist
- David Foster Wallace American Novelist, Essayist
- Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni Indian-born American Novelist
- Michelle Richmond American Novelist
- Gore Vidal American Novelist
- Joyce Carol Oates American Novelist