All thinking men are atheists.
But man is not made for defeat.
A man can be destroyed but not defeated.
He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days now without taking a fish.
Never mistake motion for action.
I read my own books sometimes to cheer me when it is hard to write and then I remember that it was always difficult and how nearly impossible it was sometimes.
Topics: Perseverance, Endurance, Resolve
Nobody ever lives their life all the way up except bullfighters.
I know only what is moral is what you feel good
after and what is immoral is what you feel bad after.
I still need more healthy rest in order to work at my best. My health is the main capital I have and I want to administer it intelligently.
Life breaks us all, but afterwards,
many of us are strongest at the broken places.
There are events which are so great that if a writer has participated in them his obligation is to write truly rather than assume the presumption of altering them with invention.
Bullfighting is the only art in which the artist is in danger of death and in which the degree of brilliance in the performance is left to the fighter’s honor.
I like to listen. I have learned a great deal
from listening carefully. Most people never listen.
You make your own luck, Gig. You know what makes a good loser? Practice.
Cowardice, as distinguished from panic, is almost always simply a lack of ability to suspend the functioning of the imagination.
- Saul Bellow Canadian-born American Novelist
- Helen Keller American Author
- James Agee American Author, Journalist
- Isaac Bashevis Singer Polish-born American Children’s Books Writer
- Washington Irving American Author
- Katherine Anne Porter American Journalist
- Robert W. Service Scottish Poet, Author
- William Faulkner American Novelist
- Barbara Grizzuti Harrison American Journalist
- Caroline Kennedy American Author