A thinker sees his own actions as experiments and questions — as attempts to find out something. Success and failure are for him answers above all.
On the mountains of truth you can never climb in vain: either you will reach a point higher up today, or you will be training your powers so that you will be able to climb higher tomorrow.
Topics: Perseverance, Truth
The value of many men and books rests solely on their faculty for compelling all to speak out the most hidden and intimate things.
Arrogance on the part of the meritorious is even more offensive to us than the arrogance of those without merit: for merit itself is offensive.
Enduring habits I hate…. Yes, at the very bottom of my soul I feel grateful to all my misery and bouts of sickness and everything about me that is imperfect, because this sort of thing leaves me with a hundred backdoors through which I can escape from enduring habits.
When you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
Call me whatever you like; I am who I must be.
O man! Take heed!
What saith deep midnight’s voice indeed?
I slept my sleep–,
From deepest dream I’ve woke, and plead:
The world is deep,
And deeper than the day could read.
Deep is its woe–,
Joy–deeper still than grief can be:
Woe saith: Hence! Go!
But joys all want eternity,
Want deep, profound eternity!
I have used these weeks to revalue values. Do you understand this expression?. When you come right down to it, the alchemist is the most praiseworthy of men: I mean the one who changes something negligible or contemptible into something of value, even gold. He alone enriches, the others merely exchange. My task is quite singular this time: I have asked myself what mankind has always hated, feared, and despised the most.
Topics: Authors & Writing
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Arthur Schopenhauer German Philosopher
- Martin Heidegger German Existential Philosopher
- Friedrich Heinrich Jacobi German Philosopher
- Immanuel Kant Prussian German Philosopher
- Wilhelm von Humboldt German Statesman, Scholar
- Immanuel Hermann Fichte German Philosopher
- Johann Gottfried Herder German Poet, Literary Critic
- Moses Mendelssohn German Jewish Philosopher
- Hannah Arendt German-American Political Theorist
- Nikos Kazantzakis Greek Novelist, Statesman