The value of many men and books rests solely on their faculty for compelling all to speak out the most hidden and intimate things.
Enduring habits I hate…. Yes, at the very bottom of my soul I feel grateful to all my misery and bouts of sickness and everything about me that is imperfect, because this sort of thing leaves me with a hundred backdoors through which I can escape from enduring habits.
On the mountains of truth you can never climb in vain: either you will reach a point higher up today, or you will be training your powers so that you will be able to climb higher tomorrow.
Topics: Perseverance, Truth
When you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
A thinker sees his own actions as experiments and questions — as attempts to find out something. Success and failure are for him answers above all.
Call me whatever you like; I am who I must be.
O man! Take heed!
What saith deep midnight’s voice indeed?
I slept my sleep–,
From deepest dream I’ve woke, and plead:
The world is deep,
And deeper than the day could read.
Deep is its woe–,
Joy–deeper still than grief can be:
Woe saith: Hence! Go!
But joys all want eternity,
Want deep, profound eternity!
Arrogance on the part of the meritorious is even more offensive to us than the arrogance of those without merit: for merit itself is offensive.
I have used these weeks to revalue values. Do you understand this expression?. When you come right down to it, the alchemist is the most praiseworthy of men: I mean the one who changes something negligible or contemptible into something of value, even gold. He alone enriches, the others merely exchange. My task is quite singular this time: I have asked myself what mankind has always hated, feared, and despised the most.
Topics: Authors & Writing
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Arthur Schopenhauer German Philosopher
- Martin Heidegger German Existential Philosopher
- Friedrich Heinrich Jacobi German Philosopher
- Immanuel Kant Prussian German Philosopher
- Wilhelm von Humboldt German Statesman, Scholar
- Immanuel Hermann Fichte German Philosopher
- Johann Gottfried Herder German Poet, Literary Critic
- Moses Mendelssohn German Jewish Philosopher
- Hannah Arendt German-American Political Theorist
- Nikos Kazantzakis Greek Novelist, Statesman