It is not the brains that matter most, but that which guides them – the character, the heart, generous qualities, progressive ideas.
If you want to be respected by others the great thing is to respect yourself. Only by that, only by self-respect will you compel others to respect you.
Topics: Acceptance, Realization, Awareness, Self-respect
We’re always thinking of eternity as an idea that cannot be understood, something immense. But why must it be? What if, instead of all this, you suddenly find just a little room there, something like a village bath-house, grimy, and spiders in every corner, and that’s all eternity is. Sometimes, you know, I can’t help feeling that that’s what it is.
Every time you pray, if your prayer is sincere, there will be new feeling and new meaning in it which will give you fresh courage and you will understand that prayer is an education.
Topics: Prayer, Fresh
A real gentleman, even if he loses everything he owns, must show no emotion. Money must be so far beneath a gentleman that it is hardly worth troubling about.
Topics: Loss, Losers, Losing
If the people around you are spiteful and callous and will not hear you, fall down before them and beg their forgiveness; for in truth you are to blame for their not wanting to hear you.
Topics: Forgiveness, Age, Aging
- Leo Tolstoy Russian Novelist
- Anton Chekhov Russian Short Story Writer
- Nikolai Berdyaev Russian Christian Philosopher
- Catherine II of Russia Russian Empress
- Maxim Gorky Russian Writer
- Nikita Khrushchev Russian Head of State
- Anna Pavlova Russian Dancer
- Constantin Stanislavski Russian Actor
- Sophie Swetchine Russian Christian Mystic
- Vladimir Nabokov Russian-born American Novelist