We are the men of intrinsic value, who can strike our fortunes out of ourselves, whose worth is independent of accidents in life, or revolutions in government: we have heads to get money, and hearts to spend it.
Women never truly command, till they have given their promise to obey; and they are never in more danger of being made slaves, than when the men are at their feet.
I believe they talked of me, for they laughed consumedly.
Observe this, that tho a woman swear, forswear, lie, dissemble, back-bite, be proud, vain, malicious, anything, if she secures the main chance, she’s still virtuous; that’s a maxim.
Those who know the least obey the best.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Oscar Wilde Irish Poet
- William Butler Yeats Irish Poet
- George Bernard Shaw Irish Playwright
- Jonathan Swift Irish Satirist
- Edmund Burke British Philosopher, Statesman
- Oliver Goldsmith Irish Author
- James Joyce Irish Novelist
- George William Russell Irish Author
- Joyce Cary Irish Novelist
- Samuel Lover Irish Writer, Artist, Songwriter