Try to keep your soul young and quivering right up to old age, and to imagine right up to the brink of death that life is only beginning. I think that is the only way to keep adding to one’s talent, and one’s inner happiness.
Life is a long ache which rarely sleeps and can never be cured.
No one makes a revolution by himself; and there are some revolutions which humanity accomplishes without quite knowing how, because it is everybody who takes them in hand.
Oblivion is the flower that grows best on graves.
Let us accept truth, even when it surprises us and alters our views.
Life resembles a novel more often than novels resemble life.
There is only one happiness in life–to love and be loved.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Honore de Balzac French Novelist
- Emile Zola French Novelist
- Alexandre Dumas fils French Dramatist, Novelist
- Alfred de Musset French Poet, Playwright
- Colette French Novelist, Performer
- Gerard de Nerval French Poet, Writer
- Frances Hodgson Burnett British Novelist, Playwright
- Charlotte Bronte English Novelist, Poet
- Anne Louise Germaine de Stael French Woman of Letters
- Francois-Rene de Chateaubriand French Writer, Statesman