Every condition of life has its perils and its advantages; and the office of religion is, not to change that in which Providence has placed us, but to strengthen and sanctify our hearts that we may resist the temptations, and improve the opportunities of blessings presented to us.
—George Washington Bethune
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Frederick Buechner American Presbyterian Clergyman
- Henry van Dyke Jr. American Author, Educator, Clergyman
- Malcolm S. Forbes American Publisher
- Lee Iacocca American Businessperson
- Woodrow Wilson American Head of State
- Thornton Wilder American Novelist
- John Foster Dulles American Lawyer
- Ralph Nader American Activist
- Adlai Stevenson American Diplomat
- Lowell Thomas American Writer