It is hardly surprising that children should enthusiastically start their education at an early age with the Absolute Knowledge of computer science; while they are unable to read, for reading demands making judgments at every line. Conversation is almost dead, and soon so too will be those who knew how to speak.
Ideas improve. The meaning of words participates in the improvement. Plagiarism is necessary. Progress implies it. It embraces an author’s phrase, makes use of his expressions, erases a false idea, and replaces it with the right idea.
Art need no longer be an account of past sensations. It can become the direct organization of more highly evolved sensations. It is a question of producing ourselves, not things that enslave us.
In societies where modern conditions of production prevail, all of life presents itself as an immense accumulation of spectacles. Everything that was directly lived has moved away into a representation.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Henri de Montherlant French Essayist, Novelist, Dramatist
- Simone de Beauvoir French Philosopher
- Jean-Paul Sartre French Philosopher
- Abbie Hoffman American Political Activist
- Karl Marx German Philosopher, Economist
- Michel Foucault French Philosopher
- Jean de La Bruyere French Author
- Jacques Derrida French Philosopher, Literary Theorist
- Vladimir Lenin Russian Revolutionary Leader
- Jean-luc Godard French-born Swiss Film Director