When a child asks you something, answer him, for goodness’ sake. But don’t make a production of it. Children are children, but they can spot an evasion quicker than adults, and evasion simply muddles ’em.
I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It’s when you know you’re licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what. You rarely win, but sometimes you do.
Topics: Courage, Bravery
Folks don’t like to have somebody around knowing more than they do. It aggravates ’em. You’re not gonna change any of them by talking right, they’ve got to want to learn themselves, and when they don’t want to learn there’s nothing you can do but keep your mouth shut or talk their language.
I’m no idealist to believe firmly in the integrity of our courts and in the jury system — that is no ideal to me, it is a living, working reality. Gentlemen, a court is no better than each man of you sitting before me on this jury. A court is only as sound as its jury, and a jury is only as sound as the men who make it up.
As you grow older, you’ll see white men cheat black men every day of your life, but let me tell you something and don’t you forget it — whenever a white man does that to a black man, no matter who he is, how rich he is, or how fine a family he comes from, that white man is trash.
Topics: Racism, Race
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- James A. Michener American Novelist
- Michelle Richmond American Novelist
- Philip Roth American Novelist, Short-story Writer
- Toni Morrison American Novelist
- Zelda Fitzgerald American Novelist
- William Faulkner American Novelist
- Bernard Malamud American Novelist
- William Styron American Novelist
- Saul Bellow Canadian-born American Novelist
- John Steinbeck American Novelist