The capacity of man himself is only revealed when, under stress and responsibility, he breaks through his educational shell, and he may then be a splendid surprise to himself no less than to his teachers.
—Harvey Williams Cushing
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- David McCullough American Historian
- Louis Agassiz Swiss-American Scientist
- George S. Patton American Military Leader
- Paul Dudley White American Cardiologist
- Stephen Jay Gould American Paleontologist
- Norman Mailer American Novelist
- E. O. Wilson American Zoologist
- Russell Baker American Journalist, Humorist
- Michael Faraday British Physicist, Chemist
- William Graham Sumner American Polymath