My angel, cries Booth, it delights me to hear you talk thus, and for a reason you little guess; for I am assured that one who can so heroically endure adversity, will bear prosperity with equal greatness of soul; for the mind that cannot be dejected by the former, is not likely to be transported with the latter.
Topics: Perseverance, Adversity, Character
Sir, money, money, the most charming of all things: money, which will say more in one moment than the most elegant lover can in years. Perhaps you will say a man is not young; I answer he is rich. He is not genteel, handsome, witty, brave, good-humored, but he is rich, rich, rich, rich, rich—that one word contradicts everything you can say against him.
Topics: Money, Riches
- John Lyly English Dramatist
- Evelyn Waugh English Novelist
- Thomas Love Peacock English Satirist
- Anthony Powell English Novelist
- J. B. Priestley English Novelist
- Pamela Hansford Johnson English Novelist
- Iris Murdoch English Novelist
- Margaret Drabble English Novelist
- Hugh Walpole English Novelist
- Jane Austen English Novelist