He that can heroically endure adversity will bear prosperity with equal greatness of soul; for the mind that cannot be dejected by the former is not likely to be transported with the latter.
Topics: Character, Adversity, Perseverance
However exquisitely human nature may have been described by writers, the true practical system can be learned only in the world.
The prudence of the best heads is often defeated by the tenderness of the best of hearts.
Sir, money, money, the most charming of all things: money, which will say more in one moment than the most elegant lover can in years. Perhaps you will say a man is not young; I answer he is rich. He is not genteel, handsome, witty, brave, good-humored, but he is rich, rich, rich, rich, rich—that one word contradicts everything you can say against him.
Topics: Money, Riches
- John Lyly English Dramatist, Novelist
- Evelyn Waugh English Novelist, Humorist
- Thomas Love Peacock English Satirist, Novelist
- Anthony Powell English Novelist, Memoirist
- Margaret Drabble English Novelist, Biographer
- Pamela Hansford Johnson English Novelist
- J. B. Priestley English Novelist, Playwright
- Iris Murdoch English Novelist
- Hugh Walpole English Novelist
- Samuel Richardson English Novelist