Civilization rests on a set of promises; if the promises are broken too often, the civilization dies, no matter how rich it may be, or how mechanically clever. Hope and faith depend on the promises; if hope and faith go, everything goes.
The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Walt Whitman American Poet
- H. L. Mencken American Journalist, Literary Critic
- Van Wyck Brooks American Literary Critic
- James Truslow Adams American Historian
- Daniel J. Boorstin American Historian
- Carl Sandburg American Poet, Historian
- Joseph Wood Krutch American Writer
- Emile Capouya American Essayist, Critic, Publisher
- Lowell Thomas American Writer
- George Will American Columnist