Badness you can get easily, in quantity; the road is smooth, and it lies close by, But in front of excellence the immortal gods have put sweat, and long and steer is the way to it.
There is also an evil name or report, light, indeed, and easy to raise, but difficult to carry, and still more difficult to get rid of.
Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning.
A bad neighbor is a misfortune, as much as a good one is a great blessing.
Fools! not to know how health and temperance bless the rustic swain, while luxury destroys her pampered train.
If you add a little to a little and do this often, soon the little will become great.
I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words. When I was a boy, we were taught to be discrete and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise and impatient of restraint.
Topics: Youth, Discipline, Future
Acquisition means life to miserable mortals.
It will not always be summer: build barns.
- Homer Ancient Greek Poet
- Stuart Chase American Economist
- Ludwig von Mises Austrian Economist, Philosopher
- Paul Samuelson American Economist
- Alan Greenspan American Economist
- Edwin Feulner American Economist
- George Goodman American Economist
- George P. Shultz American Economist
- Euripides Ancient Greek Dramatist
- Nikos Kazantzakis German Greek Philosopher