The footprint of the savage in the sand is sufficient to prove the presence of man to the atheist who will not recognize God though his hand is impressed on the entire universe.
The gospel is the fulfillment of all hopes, the perfection of all philosophy, the interpreter of all revelations, and a key to all the seeming contradictions of truth in the physical and moral world.
Atheism is the death of hope, the suicide of the soul.
Save for thee and thy lessons, man in society would everywhere sink into a sad compound of the fiend and the wild beast; and this fallen world would be as certainly a moral as a natural wilderness.
- Thomas Carlyle Scottish Writer
- Francis Jeffrey, Lord Jeffrey Scottish Judge, Literary Critic
- George Macdonald Scottish Christian Author
- Tobias Smollett Scottish Poet, Novelist, Author
- George Matheson Scottish Theologian
- J. M. Barrie Scottish Novelist
- John Buchan, 1st Baron Tweedsmuir Scottish Novelist
- Robert Burns Scottish Poet
- Robert Louis Stevenson Scottish Novelist
- Sean Connery Scottish Actor