The footprint of the savage in the sand is sufficient to prove the presence of man to the atheist who will not recognize God though his hand is impressed on the entire universe.
The gospel is the fulfillment of all hopes, the perfection of all philosophy, the interpreter of all revelations, and a key to all the seeming contradictions of truth in the physical and moral world.
Save for thee and thy lessons, man in society would everywhere sink into a sad compound of the fiend and the wild beast; and this fallen world would be as certainly a moral as a natural wilderness.
- Thomas Carlyle Scottish Historian, Essayist
- George MacDonald Scottish Christian Author
- Tobias Smollett Scottish Poet
- George Matheson Scottish Theologian
- Robert Burns Scottish Poet
- Thomas Reid Scottish Philosopher
- Adam Smith Scottish Philosopher
- Hugh Blair Scottish Minister, Scholar
- Sean Connery Scottish Actor
- David Livingstone Scottish Missionary, Explorer