The United States has a system of taxation by confession.
A man’s inner nature is revealed by what he praises-a man is self-judged by what he says of others. Thus a man is judged by his standards, by what he considers the best. And you can’t find a more crucial test. It reveals the soul.
It is the paradox of life that the way to miss pleasure is to seek it first. The very first condition of lasting happiness is that a life should be full of purpose, aiming at something outside self. As a matter of experience, we find that true happiness comes in seeking other things, in the manifold activities of life, in the healthful outgoing of all human powers.
Topics: Goals, Happiness, Aspirations
- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. American Jurist
- Earl Warren American Judge, Politician
- William Blackstone English Judge, Jurist, Academic
- Robert F. Kennedy American Politician
- Robert G. Ingersoll American Atheist Politician
- Rudy Giuliani American Politician
- Horace Greeley American Elected Rep, Politician
- William Bennett American Politician
- Harry Browne American Politician, Investor
- Wendell Willkie American Politician