It is the paradox of life that the way to miss pleasure is to seek it first. The very first condition of lasting happiness is that a life should be full of purpose, aiming at something outside self. As a matter of experience, we find that true happiness comes in seeking other things, in the manifold activities of life, in the healthful outgoing of all human powers.
Topics: Happiness, Goals, Aspirations
A man’s inner nature is revealed by what he praises-a man is self-judged by what he says of others. Thus a man is judged by his standards, by what he considers the best. And you can’t find a more crucial test. It reveals the soul.
- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. American Jurist, Author
- Earl Warren American Judge
- William Blackstone English Judge
- Robert F. Kennedy American Politician
- Robert G. Ingersoll American Lawyer, Orator, Agnostic
- Harry Browne American Politician
- George Madison Adams American Politician
- William Bennett American Politician
- Wendell Willkie American Politician
- Stewart Udall American Politician