If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
It is change, continuing change, inevitable change, that is the dominant factor in society today. No sensible decision can be made any longer without taking into account not only the world as it is, but the world as it will be. This, in turn, means that our statesmen, our businessmen, our every man must take on a science fictional way of thinking.
Topics: Change, Future
The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.
Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It’s the transition that’s troublesome.
I don’t believe in an afterlife, so I don’t have to spend my whole life fearing hell, or fearing heaven even more. For whatever the tortures of hell, I think the boredom of heaven would be even worse.
When I feel difficulty coming on, I switch to another book I’m writing. When I get back to the problem, my unconscious has solved it.
Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.
The true delight is in the finding out rather than in the knowing.
How often people speak of art and science as though they were two entirely different things, with no interconnection…That is all wrong. The true artist is quite rational as well as imaginative and knows what he is doing; if he does not, his art suffers. The true scientist is quite imaginative as well as rational, and sometimes leaps to solutions where reason can follow only slowly; if he does not, his science suffers.
- Ursula K. Le Guin Science-fiction writer
- Ayn Rand Russian-born American Novelist
- Isaac Bashevis Singer Polish-born American Children’s Books Writer
- Ray Bradbury American Novelist
- Vladimir Nabokov Russian-born American Novelist
- Vladimir Horowitz Russian-born American Musician
- Leo Rosten Russian-born American Humorist
- Russell Hoban American Children’s Books Writer
- Sarah Orne Jewett American Children’s Books Writer
- Louise Erdrich American Children’s Books Writer