How often people speak of art and science as though they were two entirely different things, with no interconnection… That is all wrong. The true artist is quite rational as well as imaginative and knows what he is doing; if he does not, his art suffers. The true scientist is quite imaginative as well as rational, and sometimes leaps to solutions where reason can follow only slowly; if he does not, his science suffers.
Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.
If I were not an atheist, I would believe in a God who would choose to save people on the basis of the totality of their lives and not the pattern of their words. I think he would prefer an honest and righteous atheist to a TV preacher whose every word is God, God, God, and whose every deed is foul, foul, foul.
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
It is change, continuing change, inevitable change, that is the dominant factor in society today. No sensible decision can be made any longer without taking into account not only the world as it is, but the world as it will be. This, in turn, means that our statesmen, our businessmen, our every man must take on a science fictional way of thinking.
Topics: Future, Change
Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It’s the transition that’s troublesome.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
I don’t believe in an afterlife, so I don’t have to spend my whole life fearing hell, or fearing heaven even more. For whatever the tortures of hell, I think the boredom of heaven would be even worse.
When I feel difficulty coming on, I switch to another book I’m writing. When I get back to the problem, my unconscious has solved it.
The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.
The true delight is in the finding out rather than in the knowing.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Ursula K. Le Guin Science-fiction writer
- Ayn Rand Russian-born American Novelist
- Isaac Bashevis Singer Polish-born American Children’s Books Writer
- Ray Bradbury American Science-Fiction Writer
- Vladimir Nabokov Russian-born American Novelist
- Vladimir Horowitz Russian-born American Pianist
- Leo Rosten Russian-born American Humorist
- Russell Hoban American Children’s Books Writer
- Louise Erdrich American Children’s Books Writer
- Sarah Orne Jewett American Children’s Books Writer