Virtuous people are simply those who have not been tempted sufficiently, because they live in a vegetative state, or because their purposes are so concentrated in one direction that they have not had the leisure to glance around them.
I had learned to have a perfect nausea for the theatre: the continual repetition of the same words and the same gestures, night after night, and the caprices, the way of looking at life, and the entire rigmarole disgusted me.
We may not all break the Ten Commandments, but we are certainly all capable of it. Within us lurks the breaker of all laws, ready to spring out at the first real opportunity.
It has taken me years of struggle, hard work and research to learn to make one simple gesture, and I know enough about the art of writing to realize that it would take as many years of concentrated effort to write one simple, beautiful sentence.
- Martha Graham American Choreographer
- Agnes de Mille American Dancer
- Anna Pavlova Russian Dancer
- Shirley MacLaine American Actor
- Fred Astaire American Actor
- Malcolm Forbes American Publisher
- Marlene Dietrich German-born American Actor
- Lincoln Steffens American Journalist
- Angelina Jolie American Actor
- Gertrude Stein American Writer