Only actions give life strength;
only moderation gives it charm.
Idleness is many gathered miseries in one name.
Cheerfulness is the atmosphere under which all things thrive.
Paradise is always where love dwells.
Do not wait for extraordinary circumstances
to do good action; try to use ordinary situations.
We learn our virtues from the friends who love us; our faults from the enemy who hates us. We cannot easily discover our real character from a friend. He is a mirror, on which the warmth of our breath impedes the clearness of the reflection.
A man never discloses his own character
so clearly as when he describes another’s.
Joy descends gently upon us like the evening dew, and does not patter down like a hailstorm.
- Thomas Mann German Novelist
- Berthold Auerbach German Jewish Poet, Novelist
- Hans Carossa German Novelist
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe German Poet
- Nikos Kazantzakis German Greek Philosopher
- Johann Gottfried Herder German Lutheran Philosopher
- Erwin Rommel German Military Leader
- Bertolt Brecht German Poet
- Johann Jacob Zimmermann German Nonconformist Theologian
- Carl Zuckmayer German Playwright