Cheerfulness is the atmosphere under which all things thrive.
Do not wait for extraordinary circumstances
to do good action; try to use ordinary situations.
Joy descends gently upon us like the evening dew, and does not patter down like a hailstorm.
Paradise is always where love dwells.
We learn our virtues from the friends who love us; our faults from the enemy who hates us. We cannot easily discover our real character from a friend. He is a mirror, on which the warmth of our breath impedes the clearness of the reflection.
A man never discloses his own character
so clearly as when he describes another’s.
Idleness is many gathered miseries in one name.
Only actions give life strength;
only moderation gives it charm.
- Thomas Mann German Novelist
- Berthold Auerbach German Jewish Poet, Novelist
- Hans Carossa German Novelist
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe German Poet
- Nikos Kazantzakis German Greek Philosopher
- Adolf Hitler Hungarian-born German Political leader
- Arthur Schopenhauer German Philosopher
- Friedrich Schiller German Poet
- Erwin Rommel German Military Leader
- Bertolt Brecht German Poet