What one decides to do in crisis depends on one’s philosophy of life, and that philosophy cannot be changed by an incident. If one hasn’t any philosophy in crises, others make the decision.
I want to stand by my country, but I cannot vote for war. I vote no.
Men and women are like right and left hands: it doesn’t make sense not to use both.
The individual woman is required a thousand times a day to choose either to accept her appointed role and thereby rescue her good disposition out of the wreckage of her self-respect, or else follow an independent line of behavior and rescue her self-respect out of the wreckage of her good disposition.
Topics: Self-respect, Women
- Jane Addams American Social Activist
- Robert Owen British Social Reformer
- Helen Keller American Author
- Robin Morgan American Activist
- Marianne Williamson American Activist
- Ralph Nader American Activist
- Jesse Jackson American Baptist Civil Rights Activist
- Midge Decter American Journalist
- Norman Podhoretz American Political Activist
- W. E. B. Du Bois American Civil Rights Activist