Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Karl Popper Austrian-born British Philosopher
- Bertrand A. Russell British Philosopher, Mathematician
- Zeno of Citium Greek Philosopher
- Jacques Derrida French Philosopher, Literary Theorist
- John Stuart Mill English Philosopher, Economist
- Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz German Philosopher, Mathematician
- Karl Marx German Philosopher, Economist
- Thales of Miletus Greek Philosopher, Mathematician
- Masanobu Fukuoka Japanese Buddhist Polymath
- Marcus Aurelius Emperor of Rome, Stoic Philosopher