Prayer should be the means by which I, at all times, receive all that I need, and, for this reason, be my daily refuge, my daily consolation, my daily joy, my source of rich and inexhaustible joy in life.
Prayer is an all-efficient panoply, a treasure undiminished, a mine which is never exhausted, a sky unobscured by clouds, a heaven unruffled by the storm. It is the root, the fountain, the mother of a thousand blessings.
The desire to rule is the mother of all heresies.
Depart from the highway, and transplant thyself in some enclosed ground, for it is hard for a tree that stands by the wayside to keep its fruit until it be ripe.
It is a shame for a man to desire honor only because of his noble progenitors, and not to deserve it by his own virtue.
This is the highest point of philosophy, to be simple and wise; this is the angelic life.
Nothing is more fallacious than wealth. Today it is for thee, tomorrow it is against thee. It arms the eyes of the envious everywhere. It is a hostile comrade, a domestic enemy.
- Jerome Greek Priest, Apologist, Saint
- Saint Peter Roman Catholic Saint
- Saint Francis of Assisi Italian Saint
- Vincent de Paul French Catholic Saint
- Francis de Sales French Catholic Saint
- Bonaventure Italian Christian Scholar
- Nikolai Berdyaev Russian Christian Philosopher
- Bernard of Clairvaux French Catholic Religious Leader
- Pythagoras Greek Philosopher
- John Bunyan English Christian Writer