Love doesn’t grow on trees like apples in Eden – it’s something you have to make. And you must use your imagination too.
God is a character, a real and consistent being, or He is nothing. If God did a miracle He would deny His own nature and the universe would simply blow up, vanish, become nothing.
For me, the principal fact of life is the free mind. For good and evil, man is a free creative spirit. This produces the very queer world we live in, a world in continuous creation and therefore continuous change and insecurity. A perpetually new and lively world, but a dangerous one, full of tragedy and injustice. A world in everlasting conflict between the new idea and the old allegiances, new arts and new inventions against the old establishment.
Topics: Change, Freedom
Religion is organized to satisfy and guide the soul — politics does the same thing for the body.
- Samuel Lover Irish Songwriter, Novelist
- Elizabeth Bowen Irish Novelist
- James Joyce Irish Novelist
- Laurence Sterne Irish Anglican Novelist
- Sheridan Le Fanu Irish Novelist
- Marguerite Gardiner, Countess of Blessington Irish Novelist, Writer
- Brendan Behan Irish Poet
- Jonathan Swift Irish Satirist
- Oliver Goldsmith Irish Author
- Oscar Wilde Irish Poet