God is a character, a real and consistent being, or He is nothing. If God did a miracle He would deny His own nature and the universe would simply blow up, vanish, become nothing.
For me, the principal fact of life is the free mind. For good and evil, man is a free creative spirit. This produces the very queer world we live in, a world in continuous creation and therefore continuous change and insecurity. A perpetually new and lively world, but a dangerous one, full of tragedy and injustice. A world in everlasting conflict between the new idea and the old allegiances, new arts and new inventions against the old establishment.
Topics: Freedom, Change
- James Joyce Irish Novelist
- Samuel Lover Irish Songwriter
- Elizabeth Bowen Irish Novelist
- Sheridan Le Fanu Irish Novelist
- Laurence Sterne Irish Anglican Novelist
- Marguerite Gardiner, Countess of Blessington Irish Novelist
- Brendan Behan Irish Poet
- Oscar Wilde Irish Poet
- Jonathan Swift Irish Satirist
- Oliver Goldsmith Irish Author