God is a character, a real and consistent being, or He is nothing. If God did a miracle He would deny His own nature and the universe would simply blow up, vanish, become nothing.
Love doesn’t grow on trees like apples in Eden – it’s something you have to make. And you must use your imagination too.
For me, the principal fact of life is the free mind. For good and evil, man is a free creative spirit. This produces the very queer world we live in, a world in continuous creation and therefore continuous change and insecurity. A perpetually new and lively world, but a dangerous one, full of tragedy and injustice. A world in everlasting conflict between the new idea and the old allegiances, new arts and new inventions against the old establishment.
Topics: Change, Freedom
- James Joyce Irish Novelist
- Samuel Lover Irish Songwriter
- Elizabeth Bowen Irish Novelist
- Sheridan Le Fanu Irish Novelist
- Laurence Sterne Irish Anglican Novelist
- Marguerite Gardiner, Countess of Blessington Irish Novelist
- Brendan Behan Irish Poet
- Oliver Goldsmith Irish Author
- Oscar Wilde Irish Poet
- Jonathan Swift Irish Satirist