Bad men hate sin through fear of punishment; good men hate sin through their love of virtue.
Revenge is always the weak pleasure of a little and narrow mind.
Nature never says one thing, Wisdom another.
We do not commonly find men of superior sense amongst those of the highest fortune.
We deem those happy who from the experience of life have learned to bear its ills, without being overcome by them.
- Persius Roman Poet, Critic
- Martial Ancient Roman Latin Poet
- Horace (Quintus Horatius Flaccus) Roman Poet
- Virgil Roman Poet
- Marcus Manilius Roman Poet
- Ovid (Publius Ovidius Naso) Roman Poet
- Seneca the Younger (Lucius Annaeus Seneca) Roman Philosopher
- Catullus Roman Latin Poet
- Lucretius Roman Poet, Philosopher
- Claudian Roman Poet