Art and ideology often interact on each other; but the plain fact is that both spring from a common source. Both draw on human experience to explain mankind to itself; both attempt, in very different ways, to assemble coherence from seemingly unrelated phenomena; both stand guard for us against chaos.
No theater could sanely flourish until there was an umbilical connection between what was happening on the stage and what was happening in the world.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Johnny Carson American Comedian
- Siegfried Sassoon English Poet, Writer, Soldier
- Jeremy Collier English Anglican Clergyman
- George Henry Lewes English Philosopher
- Virginia Woolf English Novelist
- A. C. Benson English Essayist
- Anthony Powell English Novelist
- Oscar Wilde Irish Poet, Playwright
- George Will American Columnist
- Edward Gibbon English Historian