What a luxury it is to spend time with old friends … talking, as old friends should talk, about nothing, about everything.
Intellectuals can tell themselves anything, sell themselves any bill of goods, which is why they were so often patsies for the ruling classes in nineteenth-century France and England, or twentieth-century Russia and America.
Topics: Intelligence, Intellectuals
Cynicism is an unpleasant way of saying the truth.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Tennessee Williams American Playwright
- Arthur Miller American Playwright
- Thornton Wilder American Novelist, Dramatist
- William Motter Inge American Playwright
- Marsha Norman American Playwright
- Clare Boothe Luce American Playwright
- Wilson Mizner American Playwright
- Franz Grillparzer Austrian Dramatist
- Edna St. Vincent Millay American Poet
- Natalie Clifford Barney American Playwright