Privacy was in sufficient danger before TV appeared, and TV has given it its death blow.
Nothing so soothes our vanity as a display of greater vanity in others; it make us vain, in fact, of our modesty.
Many people today don’t want honest answers insofar as honest means unpleasant or disturbing. They want a soft answer that turneth away anxiety.
Topics: Awareness, Self-Knowledge, Honesty
The thrust of ambition is, and always has been, great, but among the bright-eyed it had once a more adventurous and individualistic air, a much more bracing rivalry.
A perfect conversation would run much less to brilliant sentences than to unfinished ones.
One of the misfortunes of our time is, that in getting rid of false shame, we have killed off so much real shame as well.
- Remy de Gourmont French Poet
- Van Wyck Brooks American Literary Critic
- Alexander Woollcott American Critic
- Orson Scott Card American Author
- Quintilian Roman Rhetorician, Literary Critic
- Coventry Patmore English Poet
- Persius Roman Poet
- William Ernest Henley English Poet
- Sloan Wilson American Novelist
- Diana Trilling American Literary Critic