Adventure is just a romantic name for trouble.
Up to a point a man’s life is shaped by environment, heredity, and the movements and changes in the world around him. Then there comes a time when it lies within his grasp to shape the clay of his life into the sort of thing he wishes to be. Only the weak blame parents, their race, their times, lack of good fortune, or the quirks of fate. Everyone has it within his power to say, ‘This I am today; that I will be tomorrow.’ The wish, however, must be implemented by deeds.
Topics: Self-reliance, The Future, Confidence, Self-Discovery, Attitude, Tomorrow
Men strive for peace, but it is their enemies that give them strength, and I think if man no longer had enemies, he would have to invent them, for his strength only grows from struggle.
Topics: Difficulties, Adversity
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Richard Wright American Novelist, Short-Story Writer
- John Irving American Novelist
- John Cheever American Novelist
- Ralph Ellison American Novelist
- Theodore Dreiser American Novelist, Journalist
- Walt Disney American Entrepreneur
- Stephen Vincent Benet American Poet
- Raymond Chandler American-British Novelist
- William McFee English Writer
- Truman Capote American Novelist