It is not because the touch of genius has roused genius to production, but because the admiration of genius has made talent ambitious, that the harvest is still so abundant.
Truth is the nursing mother of genius? No man true can be absolutely true to himself, eschewing cant, compromise, servile imitation, and complaisance without becoming original.
- Henry David Thoreau American Philosopher
- Joan Didion
- Ralph Waldo Emerson American Philosopher
- James Russell Lowell American Poet, Critic
- Amos Bronson Alcott American Teacher
- Whitney Young American Civil Rights Leader
- James Freeman Clarke American Unitarian Clergyman
- Kurt Vonnegut American Novelist
- Erica Jong American Novelist
- Toni Morrison American Novelist