Women should be permitted to volunteer for non-combat service, they should not be accepted, voluntarily or through the draft, as combat soldiers. We know of no comparable ways of training women and girls, and we have no real way of knowing whether the kinds of training that teach men both courage and restraint would be adaptable to women or effective in a crisis. But the evidence of history and comparative studies of other species suggest that women as a fighting body might be far less amenable to the rules that prevent warfare from becoming a massacre and, with the use of modern weapons, that protect the survival of all humanity. This is what I meant by saying that women in combat might be too fierce.
If you associate enough with older people who do enjoy their lives, who are not stored away in any golden ghettos, you will gain a sense of continuity and of the possibility for a full life.
Topics: Age, Aging
Never doubt that a small group of committed people can
change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
Coming to terms with the rhythms of women’s lives means coming to terms with life itself, accepting the imperatives of the body rather than the imperatives of an artificial, man-made, perhaps transcendentally beautiful civilization. Emphasis on the male work-rhythm is an emphasis on infinite possibilities; emphasis on the female rhythms is an emphasis on a defined pattern, on limitation.
Topics: Men, Men & Women, Women
- Carlos Castaneda Peruvian-born American Anthropologist
- Stephen Jay Gould American Paleontology, Biologist
- Erica Jong American Novelist
- William Graham Sumner American Polymath, Academic
- Francine du Plessix Gray Polish-born American Author
- M. Scott Peck American Psychiatrist
- Buckminster Fuller American Engineer
- William Safire American Columnist
- Bill Cosby American Actor
- Ethel Merman American Actor