America does not concern itself now with Impressionism. We own no involved philosophy. The psyche of the land is to be found in its movement. It is to be felt as a dramatic force of energy and vitality. We move; we do not stand still. We have not yet arrived at the stock-taking stage.
There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique, and if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium; and be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, not how it compares with other expression. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep open and aware directly to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open. No artist is pleased. There is no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is on a queer, divine dissatisfaction, a blessed unrest that keeps us marching and makes us more alive than the others.
The only sin is mediocrity.
We look at the dance to impart the sensation of living in an affirmation of life, to energize the spectator into keener awareness of the vigor, the mystery, the humor, the variety, and the wonder of life. This is the function of the American dance.
Topics: Dance, Awareness
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Isadora Duncan American Dancer
- Agnes de Mille American Dancer
- Fred Astaire American Actor
- Kirk Douglas American Actor
- Helen Hayes American Actor
- Eleanor Roosevelt American Humanitarian
- Bob Hope British-born American Comedian, Film Actor
- Aretha Franklin American Gospel And Soul Singer
- B. B. King American Blues Musician
- Beverly Sills American Singer