Sometimes I feel that life is passing me by, not slowly either, but with ropes of steam and spark-spattered wheels and a hoarse roar of power or terror. It’s passing, yet I’m the one who’s doing all the moving.
More will mean worse.
Life is made of fear. Some people eat fear soup three times a day. Some people eat fear soup all the meals there are. I eat it sometimes. When they bring me fear soup to eat, I try not to eat it, I try to send it back. But sometimes I’m too afraid to and have to eat it anyway.
- Margaret Drabble English Novelist
- J. G. Ballard English Novelist
- E. M. Forster English Novelist
- Doris Lessing British Novelist, Poet
- H. G. Wells English Novelist, Historian
- Graham Greene British Novelist
- Brian Aldiss English Novelist
- P. D. James British Novelist
- Jeanette Winterson English Novelist
- Gail Godwin American Novelist