Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding.
If you could understand a single grain of wheat, you would die of wonder.
Music is the art of the prophets, the only art that can calm the agitations of the soul…
There is no wisdom save in truth. Truth is everlasting, but our ideas about truth are changeable. Only a little of the first fruits of wisdom, only a few fragments of the boundless heights, breadths and depths of truth, have I been able to gather.
I would advise no one to send his child where the Holy Scriptures are not supreme. Every institution that does not unceasingly pursue the study of Gods word becomes corrupt. Because of this we can see what kind of people they become in the universities and what they are like now. Nobody is to blame for this except the pope, the bishops, and the prelates, who are all charged with training young people. The universities only ought to turn out men who are experts in the Holy Scriptures, men who can become bishops and priests, and stand in the front line against heretics, the devil, and all the world. But where do you find that? I greatly fear that the universities, unless they teach the Holy Scriptures diligently and impress them on the young students, are wide gates to hell.
Everything that is done in the world is done by the hopeful. No matter your age. No matter your circumstances. No matter your financial wealth. Without hope, nothing is possible. But with hope…well…watch out.
The human heart is like a ship on a stormy sea driven about by winds blowing from all four corners of heaven.
In our sad condition our only consolation is the expectancy of another life. Here below all is incomprehensible.
We are saved by faith alone, but the faith that saves is never alone.
- John Wesley British Methodist Religious Leader
- Johann Gottfried Herder German Lutheran Philosopher
- Bernard of Clairvaux French Catholic Religious Leader
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer German Lutheran Pastor
- Pope John XXIII Italian Catholic Religious Leader
- Saint Peter Roman Catholic Saint
- Ted Engstrom American Christian Religious Leader
- Mary Baker Eddy American Religious Leader
- Harold Kushner American Jewish Religious Leader
- John Keble English Religious Leader