We must distinguish between spirituality in general terms, which aims to make us better people, and religion. Adopting a religion remains optional, but becoming a better human being is essential.
The most striking quality that humans and animals have in common is the capacity to experience suffering. Why do we still blind ourselves, now at the beginning of the twenty-first century, to the immeasurable suffering that we inflict on animals, knowing that a great part of the pain that we cause them is neither necessary nor unavoidable? Certainly we should know that there is no moral justification for inflicting needless pain and death on any being.
- Brother Lawrence French Carmelite Monk
- Robert Thurman American Buddhist Scholar
- Jacques Cousteau French Military Leader
- Henri Cartier-Bresson French Photographer
- Natalie Goldberg American Buddhist Author
- Joseph Goldstein American Buddhist Teacher
- The 14th Dalai Lama Tibetan Buddhist Religious Leader
- Sakyong Mipham Tibetan Buddhist Religious Leader
- Thich Nhat Hanh Vietnamese Buddhist Religious Leader
- Pema Chodron American Buddhist Nun