That the poor are invisible is one of the most important things about them. They are not simply neglected and forgotten as in the old rhetoric of reform; what is much worse, they are not seen.
Topics: Wealth, Poverty
Our affluent society contains those of talent and insight who are driven to prefer poverty, to choose it, rather than submit to the desolation of an empty abundance.
- Eugene V. Debs American Socialist
- Carl Sandburg American Poet, Historian
- Elie Wiesel Romanian-born American Writer
- E. L. Doctorow American Writer
- Marie Chapian American Children’s Books Writer
- Glenn Beck American Mormon Children’s Books Writer
- Maxim Gorky Russian Writer
- Isaac Asimov American Novelist, Critic, Popular Scientist
- J. K. Rowling English Novelist
- James Truslow Adams American Historian