Our affluent society contains those of talent and insight who are driven to prefer poverty, to choose it, rather than submit to the desolation of an empty abundance.
That the poor are invisible is one of the most important things about them. They are not simply neglected and forgotten as in the old rhetoric of reform; what is much worse, they are not seen.
Topics: Wealth, Poverty
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Eugene V. Debs American Socialist
- Carl Sandburg American Poet, Historian
- Elie Wiesel Romanian-born American Writer
- E. L. Doctorow American Writer
- Marie Chapian American Christian Writer
- Glenn Beck American Mormon Children’s Books Writer
- Maxim Gorky Russian Writer
- Isaac Asimov American Novelist, Critic, Popular Scientist
- J. K. Rowling English Novelist
- Elbert Hubbard American Writer